Thankfulness - Invest in Others

Every year I sit down around Thanksgiving and really ponder all of the wonderful things I have to be thankful for, and I have so many things. This year specifically I would like to take some time to thank and appreciate all of the people that really invested in me as a young photographer and continue to invest in me as I grow. It is a really hard task as a beginning photographer or creative of any kind to get themselves plugged into the fashion industry just starting out. Some people have really breakout entrances to the fashion market with some huge publication or one really amazing shoot with a well connected group of people. That wasn't me. It took me a while to come into my own and find what type of work I really enjoy and am good at. I can't tell you how much it means to me that I had models, makeup artists and stylists believe in my career enough to participate in some of the first fashion shoots I ever did. I look back at those shoots and cringe because they look nothing like my work today, but those people invested in me and have aided me in achieving what I have and what I will. Thank you to the photographers who personally guided me and took the time to respond to my long emails about how I could improve my work (though unfortunately those were few and far between). I have been ushered closer to my goals and successes by the time and effort you put into helping me grow.

I would urge those of you in the creative industry to invest in young talent that is emerging around you. I think alot of times in the fashion industry people are unwilling to teach others for multiple reasons including, we just don't have time, we don't want there to be more competition in the market or perhaps we are scared to share our methods or industry findings because we had to learn it all on our own, why shouldn't they. I would encourage those who are willing to invest in new talent to answer the emails or messages that you get, because if you are doing your job right there are people who want to learn from you. Take on an intern or an assistant to teach your craft to. Don't be stingy with information because I guarantee that if someone is really hungry for their goals they will achieve them with or without your help (that was me) but you could push them so much closer by sharing your knowledge. Photographers specifically, yes we are competing in a limited fashion market in Portland but you will set yourself up for success and a good reputation by being kind to those around you. Whatever technique it is that you used, it has been done before. Whatever client it is that you work with should be secure enough in your talents and abilities that you shouldn't be worried about teaching others.

As we head into the end of this year and the beginning of a new one I hope to present myself to others as a person who cares about other peoples successes. As busy as I am I never want to be too busy to help out someone like I used to be who is struggling to find an in. Some people have workshops and that is great. For me I don't feel educated enough or "talented" enough to ask people to pay me for information I have gathered over the years. I simply want to help models and other photographers improve and find success and achieve their dreams. If you like what I do then email me or message me and I will answer. If someone wants to shadow me on a shoot then talk to me and we can set something up. I may not be to a level of a workshop but I do have things to teach and information to share.

Thank you to everyone who has invested in me and those who continue to push me towards my career goals. You will always be held in my highest regard and I will continue to recommend others to work with you.

Questions or comments? http://ask.fm/KendraMPhotography

Comments

Popular Posts